Obesity is one of the fastest growing health epidemics in the world and is more prevalent in United States. Physical activity plays an important role in weight management because it helps to a long term solution of health.
Why should a person invest time in physical activity?
- To live a better quality of life by being able to go for walks.
- To improve the decays of age.
- To prevent high blood pressure.
- To regulate medication sensitivity.
- To improve posture and alleviate joint pain.
The most successful program to reduce excessive weight gain that is not healthy is to reduce calorie intake and to increase physical activity. Reducing calorie intake is as simple as reducing the sugar in your daily drink. For physical activity is as simple as walking for 20 minutes before work, during lunch or after work. Regardless of your choices the change needs to be something that will work in the long term. Everyone can join a new exercise program but only a few make it a way of life.
Recommendations by American College of Sports and Medicine (2014) to health and fitness professional in order to help overweight and obese individuals:
- Physical Activity recommendation: 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity.
- Adults who have a body mass index greater than or equal to 25kg/m^2 should participate in a weight-loss program
- Change current caloric intake by 500 to 1000 calories per day. (depending on your current intake)
- Increase physical activity incrementally to improve weight loss and weight management over a long period of time.
- Include resistance/strength training since it improves muscular fitness and body composition.
- Find ways to change behaviors to adopt and maintain a long term plan for weigh control.
To find out how I can help you, send me a note to sm508 (at) me.com