The case of Rachel. She is a 43-year-old, low risk, moderately active woman who works 40 to 50 hours a week in a sedentary job. Rachel’s original goal was to lose 10lb in 12 weeks. She has two children, Zach, age 10 and Emily, age 8, they are involved in sports. Rachel started walking with co-workers twice a week. She started walking because she knew she needed to take care of her self a little bit better.
Rachel’s WELLNESS VISION
“My wellness vision is to be healthy, energetic, and vital. I am content that with increased social support, a regular and a realistic weight management plan, I will achieve success.”
On completion of the 12-week program, Rachel had lost 6 lbs. and increased her strength, flexibility and aerobic fitness. Some of the actions she took:
- Rearranged her work schedule
- Started to walk her children to school once a week.
- Incorporated stretch brakes before a meeting at work.
- Used the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Took public transportation once a week.
- Started hiking and bicycling with her children.
What ultimately helped Rachel was her decision to make a little effort to achieve a goal of her choice. Her new goal of moving more and daily practices that reflected a new attitude about exercise.
What can you do to improve your wellness?